Reguengos de Monsaraz is a small town, headquarters of an agricultural borough, situated in the typical Alentejo plain terrain, next to the recent Alqueva dam, specially known for the quality of the wine produced in the region, due to the granite and schist soils and the local climate that are particularly favourable to vine-growing with distinctive characteristics. The Reguengos de Monsaraz history is often confounded with the neighbour village of Monsaraz, one of the most important of the region, and also one of the most beautiful in Alentejo and even in Portugal. This is a region of ancient human occupation, and throughout the area several vestiges from the Palaeolithic period attest the existence of different cultures from other times. In the region Romans, Visigoths and Moors inhabited, and in 1167 it is conquered by the first Portuguese King. The surrounding nature is astonishing, with the peace of mind that characterizes the Alentejo region, and Reguengos de Monsaraz possesses some interesting monuments like the Santo António Church from the 19th century or the great Esporão Estate, where some of the region’s great wine is produced, as well as several megalithic monuments present throughout the region. This is a place of well preserved and cherished traditions, with widely known handicrafts, mainly specialized in Pottery and Clay work in São Pedro do Corval, and also the Reguengos Rugs, with origins as ancient as Reguengos village itself.